Starting a Business Checklist contents
Below is a summary of the information contained in the Checklist. It provides links to our business topics to help you understand each step in more detail.
Before you start a business
- Do you know where to find advice and support?
- Do you know when a hobby becomes a business?
- Do you know what events, networks and seminars are happening near you?
- Have you started planning for your business?
- Have you written your Business Plan and Marketing Plan?
- Have you considered your other plans such as a Social Media Plan, Export or Import Plan, Succession Plan and Emergency Management and Recovery Plan?
- Do you know how to obtain finance?
- Do you know which business structure suits your business?
- Have you considered starting as an independent contractor?
When you start a business
- Have you registered your ABN?
- Have you registered for GST and/or other business registrations and licences?
- Have you registered your business name?
- Do you have adequate protection for your intellectual property?
- Have you considered running a home-based business?
- Do you understand your taxation obligations?
- Do you understand your legal requirements?
- Are you aware of standards and codes of practice?
- Have you set up record keeping & accounting systems?
- Have you arranged insurance?
- Do you know how to employ people?
- Have you considered applying for grants or financial assistance?
- Have you considered doing business online?
- Have you thought in detail about your product or service?
When you buy a business
Running your business
- Do you have a good understanding of your customers?
- Do you know your ongoing employer obligations?
- Do you understand your workplace health & safety obligations?
- Have you thought about exporting goods or services?
- Have you thought about importing goods or services?
- Can your business benefit from applying for tenders and contracts?